Partner city from: 3. 9. 2010
Number of inhabitants: approximately 296 thousands
Distance from Hradec Králové: approximately 1400 km
Contacts of both cities date back to 1966, when so called „friendship“ between East-Bohemian Region and Chernihiv Region has been concluded. At the time the Ukraine was a part of communist Soviet Union. As Hradec Králové twinned Chernihiv, every district city in our region had its counterpart in this region.
Chernihiv region lies in Desna river-basin, on the Ukraine frontier with Russia and Belorussia. Around 20% of the area is covered with forests. There are huge resources of mineral water, quality sand and soil, localities of crude oil and peat. Most inhabitants of the region live in cities (52%). The city has high industrial potential, there seat over 70 large and medium industrial enterprises with prevailing light industry (textile, shoe-making, flax processing, production of musical instruments), chemical, food, engineering, building industry and financial sector have developed, many consultant companies and real agents work in the area. Regional agriculture produces potatoes, flax and cereals. In 1999, some districts of the region acquired a status of special economic zone boosting foreign investors.
Chernihiv (Chernigov in Russian), a regional city, is a port on the river Desna. The first historical record of the city dates back to 907, as Tsernigogé. Before it was annexed to the Kyev Russia at the end of the 9th century, it was the centre of the Severjan tribe. Since 1024 it had been the centre of Chernigov principality, in 1239 it was plundered by Mongols, who tortured to death Prince st. Michal Chernigovski, great-grand father of Czech king Václav II. In the 14th century the city was under Lithuanian sovereign and in 1499 it was seized by Russian troops and in 1503 annexed to Moscow Russia. In 1611 the city was occupied by Polish troops, after 1618 in was re-annexed to Lithuania. In 1648 it was seized by Bohdan Chmelnycky´s Cossacks and consequently it became a part of Russian empire, having been its gubernial centre since the 18th century. At the end of the 19th century there lived 27 000 inhabitants in the city, it was both governor´s and archbishop´s seat. There were 20 cathedrals, 6 synagogues. In February 1918 the Soviet power was declared temporary, because in the short time the city was occupied jointly by German and Austrian-Hungarian armies, then governed by Directorium. Soviet regime was re-established in November 1918. In the course of the Second World War the city was severely damaged and from 9. 9. 1941 to 21. 9. 1943 it was occupied by German army. There are religious monuments of Kyev Russia conserved in the city (Spaso-Preobrazhensky Cathedral founded in the 11th century, Borisoglebsky Cathedral founded in the 12th century, Uspensky Cathedral founded in the 12th century) and significant monuments of Ukraine baroque of the 17th and 18th century, conserved walls, gates and ancient printing factory. There lived and died Ukraine writer Mychajlo Kocjumbynskyj (1864-1913).
The city has always been the important centre of education. There are 4 universities and institutes:
Chernihiv State T.G. Shevchenko Pedagogical Institute
Chernihiv State Institute of Economics and Management
Chernihiv State Technological University
Chernihiv State Institute of Law, Social Techniques and Work